Tuesday, November 24, 2015

He was in Labyrinth, too, yes?

This is The Next Day...
Oops, I still don't have the program in front of me.  There is a music director who also worked on The Next Day recordings.  He was at the synth last night.
As I try to reconcile the familiarity and beautiful completeness of the waif (meaning I didn't notice the focus but only appreciated the wonders of the women's poses last night), all I can say is, this marks the return (from nearby) of Hans Bellmer imagery.  Which waif is smaller?  Which has the bigger voice (obviously Ms. Caruso).   And finally, Are they (is poupee) real?  The entire cast is beautiful and there are great supplemental participants.  I suppose a third woman was also a character, part of a supplemental love story spoofed by the brother of the man from another planet...(Mr. Valentine.  It is Valentine's day... also a vision consistent with my own of Valentine's Day).
The sonic landscapes of all his songs are coming to mind now.  Immediate highlights include The Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud... as soon as I mention that, which sounds like an inspiration for the science fiction book by a Mr. Travis?   Well that goes back to the scholastic book source I know of by the fellow who wrote the disney live action witch mountain yes?  OK, Daniel Keys wrote about Jon in The Forgotten Door.   This is the source material I think underlies everyone and everything here.. x (This is completely wrong.  Alexander Key, who also wrote Escape to Witch Mountain, published The Forgotten Door in 1965.  Walter Tevis, who also wrote The Hustler, published The Man Who Fell to Earth in 1963.)
So Wild Eyed Boy... and the other great wild sonic landscape folk song is The Bewley Brothers.  A definitive statement of The Other brother.
There was a momentary projection of Mr. Newton by characters.  Basically all theatrical stops are pulled out for the occasion and, guess what, they work.
What you'll also hear is, and whenever someone says, I can't, yet want to, die... the definitive prior declamation of that statement is:
Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman

Also, it's hard to lose that bossa nova for The Man Who Sold the World.

Is David Jones blissfully separated from his manifestations?  Does anyone actually believe there is a transformation of a complete visionary artist, that this return of David Bowie is different from his other returns... there is continuity and consistency from the children recordings (?) to today.  

One thing I've consistently heard from him is... Project yourself on me.  

No comments: