Monday, July 09, 2001

I watch Dave of Dave's place push the energy envelop to entertain the people waiting to entertain him or whomever is remaining. The performance opportunity is stimulating. People this time of night are just wanting to play. (I wound up singing to my cd, and the next time I will play the piano as it plays, that way, well, at least I'm doing something other than sitting there sounding flat and presenceless.) So what is driving Dave. He is quite earnest and there are times when it doesn't seem that difficult what he is doing, certainly not as difficult as the sweat on his brow makes it out to be. He's the happiest man in showbusiness, as distinguished from the hardest working man, James Brown. Then a black fellow from LA came on dedicating his set to Lennon and covering Glass Onion, one of the more difficult beatles songs to be captured by a six string guitar. Paleface sang a great song about gadgets with the help of Dina Dean echoing the word whenever he said it. "Guys that buy gadgets," hey, that's me. Paleface, wow, looks like Oliver Reed. A unique singing voice. His next song was a reminder that we pay for entertainment. His eyes shut into slits, does he have another verse? No.

Sometimes, not with Paleface who is exceptional, the excitement from the performer is when his or her song is over, the tremor in the heart to be that much closer to performance time. My offering to the world, thankfull and thoughtfull, that's what Darryl sang about at the end of his two song set.

In case this has not rung the awareness bells, I attended Lach's Antihoot this evening, on my way to the nearest parking spot, no I sincerely looked forward to playing and when he spoke on the phone he asked if I was coming by. Monday night, Sidewalk Cafe at Ave A and East 6th. People sign up and introduce their talent to their fellow performer/audience members.

Hey, the singing group Phonic sounded great and the event of their playing tonight gave Lach the opporutity to utter, "I got hooked on phonics so I had to go to the phonix house..." The place where creativity ferments, Lach's Fort at Sidewalk, not only the means to an end, but an end in and of itself, whatever your stature in the entertainment world.

No comments: