Thursday, July 12, 2001

I heard a lecture on the radio, it was on one of the lower FM bandwiths which usually means University Affiliate. It wasn't the KCR Columbia guys because I had already passed them. They were busy broadcasting an historic histrionic rant by a female singer setting straight the record on how mean her man is. He's a mean man. He's HER man. Obviously not a 78rpm recording cause it went on way too long. Then KCR DJs have a tendency to speak twice as long as their next recording, so I switched to another station. Why did I even move from WQXR to begin with? Well, if it isn't Vermont Teddy Bears it's some other inane adspot that bought up their break time, this one about REEE-sorts, everything fine at the REE-sort (scansioned to the tune of Downtown). So I was off on a survey of the other stations (which reminds me, cable tv surfing is TOO SLOW.).

The lecturer was considering the LSD movement, so he must have been speaking to a crowd in the 1960's. He was warning the young generation about its inability to describe the awarenesses chemically achieved. He mentioned two buddas, one that stays enlightened in the mountains and the other that willingly returns to us and plays along with the rules we subconsciously accept as part of our life. He was wonderfully perceptive and reminded me of the ecstatic enlightenment that removes us from society...without lonliness, this being broadcast while people were crossing sunny 6th Avenue and West 8th, near the theatre I was approaching for tonight's performance of The Wise Sophia.

Buddist writings, especially the English translations, and I'm familiar only with Advanced Course in Yogi Philosophy and oriental occultism by Yogi Ramacharaka from the Chicago Masonic Temple, 1908 (and Zanuck's Razor's Edge), are sensitive to the path to awareness being something that you arrive at but may not necessarily be able to express. I kind of get that it's the rule of the word that unites us, and I'm echoing the hodgepodge version of yogi/protestant work ethic I learned from the Werner Erhard Est Descendant Seminar called, THE FORUM. (Did you get it? We're not leaving until everyone does -- really does.) Anyway, goldfish in a bowl, it's a good reminder which returned while waiting for a cue backstage. I realized I am a product of rules, repetition and expectation, and the actor is supposed to follow whatever set of rules his character limits him to. The actor assumes the roles of society.

The other echo from the 60s was Linus Gelber's announcement that Wild Thing and Just Call Me Angel in the Morning were written by the same songwriter whose name, yes, escapes me. The lyrics to Angel in the Morning announce that sex out of wedlock could be beautiful, causing a stir in 1962.. Whatever you say, and whatever I say, does it communicate?

No comments: