Wednesday, October 30, 2002

Ah, I see this is the blogger where I referred to the CD burning capabilities lost upon downloading windows media player beta 9x.

Here's today's correspondence from Roxio, the microsoft media player affiliated company which coincidentally bought the German cd burning program, CeQuadrat, which compaq included on my machine back in 1999.

"Thank you for your letter, my name is Kathie and I have been assigned to provide you with the information you need to get help with the issues you addressed in your letter.

"When CeQuadrant is preloaded the support that you may be entitled to on complimentary bases would come directly from the company that furnished you with the software. In your case the support would come from Compaq. There phone number is 800-652-6672.

"You can also go to http://www.cequadrat.de/english/support/top5.php3 , this has all updates that are available for the software along with trouble shooting tips. This is a free update.

"If you would like to speak to one of our Technicians it would be at a $35.00 per incident charge and we would have to arrange for a call back. To speak to Technical Support you will need to call 408-934-7283.

"Again I want to thank you for taking the time to write us.

"Best regards,

"Kathie Upton
Customer Service Representative
roxio
The Digital Media Company
6900 Wedgwood Road Suite 200
Maple Grove, MN 55311 USA
Customer Service: 408-946-4949
Fax: 763-494-7303
kathie.upton@roxio.com
www.roxio.com
NASDAQ:"ROXI"
Featuring the Best-Selling CD-Recording Software in the World"

I wrote back as follows:

Dear Kathie,

Thank you for your response!

You actually may be able to help me from where you are because I downloaded Windows Media Player 9 Beta and that notified you, meaning Roxio, of the existence on my computer of the old CeQuadrat software. My compaq computer is over three years old and I suppose it is to your software's credit that it continues to run well and usefully. I just need your permission, now, to run it. Please provide the information I need to assure my computer that it is OK to run the program. Please send my computer something (the way it obviously sent something to you through the media player and then you sent something back to it) to let my computer know that I have the software legally and that it doesn't have to arrest itself or me as a result of my purchase of a computer.

I hope that this proiblem I am having is not the result of roxio/CeQuadrats dissatisfaction with compaq, in that you feel they have not fairly compensated you for including your software in their computer. In that case I don't know what to do. I will notify them of your position and how it affects their customers.

Sincerely,

Peter Dizozza

No comments: