Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Perhaps before turning to internet movie database or some other links that come up through a click on the google page I can consider what I actually thought of the unique film from 1962 called Jules and Jim, a flamboyant work and one that anticipates some of the charming interaction I know from ken Russell's films. These unique individuals following their own call somehow disappoint me in the end when all that is left is an expression of underlying tension and hostility, or something else I can't understand, in that they drive off a cliff, basically, and that the rules of what can be done with their ashes must be followed... who are these people, and what is the meaning of the German heritage of one of them, well, I suppose he is austrian, and a second world war is brewing as the lifestyles come to an abrupt halt. There is such happiness, joy and beauty experienced in the end result of the film. It is flashing about at images, ever unexpected and certainly there is great sadness in what seems to bring us back to reality, that there is an underlying tension fomenting...Maybe there's something else there. I wish there was because the vision was beautiful, or, what may be my own limitations, hauntingly familiar, and as I am a product of that familiar behaviour, I'd like to see a thriving outcome... well, bringing me back to my own perceptions versus reality. My favorite scene is the slap followed by the laugh. There is a moment of antagonism, one of several where Jules says something that offends Catherine and in my present state I am unable to recall what the comment was. She slaps him. he laughs and the all three laugh... the threesome is a French genre when I think of films of Bertrand Blier, which I haven't thought of for some time. There is another moment when she throws herself in the water... Ms. Moreau, after hearing quotes from Beaudelaire following their attendance of what might have been a strindberg play. the flamboyant Ken Russel style now seems to have its origin in Truffaut. All in all, a yearning arose from the film, and for that I'm grateful.

No comments: