Friday, August 22, 2008

Re: Yessay
Posted by dizozza on 8/21/2008, 2:35 pm, in reply to "Re: Yessay"
Thanks for the memory, and the observation that anti-prowess instrumentation from CBGBs punk followed prog-rock. I did not understand Yes words but the sound of their records impressed me. The first impression was from hearing Long Distance Run Around... I hung out with older kids, so I'd hear these records new... amidst the pot smoking (in that row of spanish stucco houses on Fleet Street????). Close to the Edge is my favorite of theirs ("And You and I" is worth carrying everywhere...). Their album packaging was also quite beautiful. Their release of tales of topographic oceans was an exciting current event and it began very well. I can't say I got to the end, though. When I was in high school my band liked Yes but not as much as Gentle Giant, Genesis, Queen and King Crimson. This band, Steak and Potatoes, was proud of their ability to cover these songs. They may have covered Roundabout. So this is Prog-Rock... wow. Rick Wakeman's Wives of Henry the Eighth was interesting... Oh, Emerson Lake and Palmer recorded something called Tarkus, which was interesting and contained a 2 minute piece that surpasses everything called Jeremy Bender. I love their Letter song after Tchaikovsky's. Top moments for me are Supper's Ready by Genesis,, The latter half of Gentle Giant Glass House King Crimson's Fractured one note guitar solo... I'm not sure, they all had similar overlapping names... maybe the album is called Red. This was all british school-boy rock...

No comments: